Together the 1932 Museum Gallery and lower galleries, the History Discovery Room, Johnson cottage, and the library/archive, forms the Society’s Headquarters. This space, which includes two program rooms, also features changing exhibits that either focus on specific topics in North Andover history or more general topics as illustrated by our collections, several examples of early New England Furniture and decorative arts as well as housing our gift shop.
This space, which includes two program rooms, also features changing exhibits that either focus on specific topics in North Andover history or more general topics as illustrated by our collections, several examples of early New England Furniture and decorative arts as well as housing our gift shop.
The Gift Shop & Book Store is open Tuesday to Friday from 10AM - 3PM. We have a wonderful assortment of historic books, greeting cards, postcards, prints, toys, textiles, clothing, North Andover Trail guides, local crafts, games, children's books, jewelry. Stop by and visit us. Your purchases help keep North Andover history alive.
lucy amelia stevens & samuel Dale Stevens
Samuel Dale Stevens married Lucy Amelia Abbot in 1885. Together they worked in the early 20th century, along with many other descendants of the town's early settlers, to found a society to preserve "all the traditions and historic events of interest" relating to the town with a view to building "a collection of interesting relics connected with the "history of Andover."
samuel osgood (1748 - 1813)
An Andover North Parish native, Samuel Osgood was born in a house still standing on Osgood Street. Osgood achieved the rank of Colonel during the Revolutionary War. He became very involved in the formative stages of the US Government and was the first Commissioner of the Treasury (1785-1789) and later the first Postmaster General of the United States.
By the start of the 19th century, Osgood was settled in New York. President Jefferson awarded him the positions of Supervisor of Internal Revenue for the District of New York and Naval Officer of the Port of New York. In 1812, he became the first President of the City Bank of New York. He enjoyed this role until his death one year later. He is buried in New York. Learn More
Maria Bowne Franklin Osgood (1754 - 1814)
The second wife of Samuel Osgood (1748 - 1813) widow Maria Bowne Franklin married Osgood in 1786. They had four children, Martha, Julianna, Walter and Suzanna. The family lived in New York which at that time became the seat of government. Notably the Osgoods vacated their home in Franklin Square, one of the finest mansions in New York, to allow George Washington to use it as the President's residence.
george B. stevens (1845-1919)
This portrait of George B. Stevens (b. 1845-1919), son of Isaac Mooar Stevens, Cordwainer, and Ruby Barnard was donated in 1964 by his daughter, Annie L.S. Gile. George lived in the North Parish of Andover and was a tin smith. He is buried in Ridgewood Cemetery. Family history attributed the portrait to the artist Joseph Whiting Stock, and while feasible, it is not proven.