The mills at North Andover altered the history of the town forever. Beginning with the Scholfield Mill in 1802, North Andover grew to become one of many leading textile equipment manufacturers in Massachusetts. By the nineteenth century, four sites stood along Cochichewick Brook to facilitate the growth of the North Parish’s (incorporated as North Andover in 1855) woolen textile industry.
SLIDE SHOW OF HISTORIC MILL EXHIBIT
davis & furber expansion
During this period, the Stevens, later renamed Osgood, and Sutton Mills produced woolen textiles, while the Davis & Furber Machine Shop produced the machinery deployed in the manufacturing of those textiles. In the 1860s, Davis & Furber undertook rapid expansion as a result of the immense growth of the woolen industry during the Civil War period.
In the backdrop of the war, the American woolen industry remarkably doubled in size. Even into the twentieth century, the companies located at the Cochichewick Brook sites provided North Andover with a formidable industrial business as well as a principal employer.
timeline of The mills in north andover
Scholfield Mill (1802)
Stevens Mill (1813)
North Andover Mills/Osgood Mill (1822)
Sutton Mills (1826)
Davis & Furber Machine Shop (1836)